We Are 10: How to Shoot the HiPPO
Last year, we published our very first digital marketing book – Shoot the HiPPO: How to be a killer digital marketing manager. Going through the process of writing a book for the first time, let alone editing and publishing it, was a steep learning curve that we are all very proud of! The book is named, not after shooting majestic hippopotami, but after a phrase coined by Avinash Kaushik which means shooting down the Highest Paid Person’s Opinion in order to make better decisions. We asked our team what they think the best ways to shoot down those opinions are:
- Chris Green says be true to yourself and what you think is right.
2. Alex suggests objectivity and using customer insights to your advantage. HiPPOs are more likely to listen if it’s the customer speaking, rather than you!
3. Bailey’s keeping her advice simple with data, data, data!
4. Hannah thinks it’s about making sure you’ve clarified the collective goals and work as a team to reach them.
5. Rosie simply thinks you should buy our book! #ShamelessPlug
6. Jo argues that if you want the HiPPO (or anyone) to listen and agree with you, you need to explain why you think something.
7. Josef says data, not opinions, are key to shooting that HiPPO!
8. Be prepared. That’s Mike’s motto!